Monday, January 23

What's New

I know it has been a while since I wrote. I have been doing research on Dyslexia. There are so many things out there designed to help I don't know where to start. It is a complicated learning disorder that is not as cut and dry as ADHD. I haven't gotten a response from the school yet meaning that my husband and I are going to have to make an appointment with the teachers and principle. That is always a fun task. Ofcoarse I will go there prepared with all of my copies of why I believe that she has dyslexia and hopefully they can give me a starting point. All though I am not going to hold my breath. Does anyone know anyone who can help me with this? Give my an outline on where to start and where to go from there. She is in 5th grade and the stuff that I read is geared toward younger kids. Please help me help her.
On another note I have been reviewing for my test it is in 2 days! OOO, I have butterflies.

2 comments:

itisi said...

Sorry I can't help you with the dyslexia information. Hope your test goes well!!

Fizzy said...

I think that the test must be today so either you are sitting it or have just finished it -I hope it all went well.

Dyslexia... I don't know if I can really help as I am in the UK. The Dyslexia Assocciation here is very good (put the link in bold)

I worked with a Dyslexic 9yr old for while, he was funded at school (again UK rules) but I do remember that parents really had to fight for funding.
There may be a gender issue - there is a myth that it only affcts boys.

Try looking for cursive writing... it is a handwriting system that I used with the Dyslexic child but now it is used across quite a few schools... every letter starts rom the line and the aim is that the pen never leaves the page so that the child does not get disorientated. I can send you an example if you have an e-mail adress, mine is on my blog.

Also routines... so saying the alphabet every morning at the same time ... we used wooden cut out letters that the child had to arrange into a rainbow shape again never taking thier hands or the letter off the table.Also days of the week, months of the year and numbers.

repetition and routines seems to work. Each one being done in the same order/way.

Also paired writing in mixed ability groups... we put low ability with high ability children together and then they help each other. Other times we will get the more able to scribe for the pair so that lower ability children can put thier ideas down.

Maths: I had a child that needed to say thier tables every day without fail. After a holiday there would be no recollection and we would have to start again.

Most of these ideas are used across the board and not kept just for children with learning needs.

just done a quick surf and came up with:

http://www.dyslexia-teacher.com/
http://www.dyslexic.org.uk/
http://www.linkwordlanguages.com/
http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/
http://www.interdys.org/

OK better go.. thanks for your kind words this week, much appreciated. I hope today went OK. Look after yourself
XX FizzXX